Re: [RFI] AT&T Microcell RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com, "Gruber, Mike W1MG" <mgruber@arrl.org>
Subject: Re: [RFI] AT&T Microcell RFI
From: Tony <dxdx@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 15:26:39 -0400
All:

I received an email from the utility company tech regarding the AT&T Microcell device. He told me that the RFI is generated by the Chinese power supplies and not the unit itself as Jim (K9YC) predicted. He also said that the PS are always hot to the touch which in my view, could be a fire hazard.

My neighbors unit was the 7th case reported this year. Once the units are tracked down, the utility company tech notifies AT&T who then calls the customer to resolve the issue.

The tech was kind enough to send me a picture of the power supply which appears to be made by ENG. It has FCC and UL labels which are most likely illegitimate given a device that overheats and generates that kind of noise.

PS Manufacturer: http://www.engelectric.com/

I can send the pictures of the PS and the Microcell if anyone is interested.

Tony -K2MO