Re: [RFI] Signals on 160

To: Cortland Richmond <ka5s@earthlink.net>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Signals on 160
From: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2018 21:47:44 +0000
I remember the wireless modem jacks on 3.53 MHz very well.

What I learned in those days what that, for the most part, emissions from
devices plugged in to house wiring exhibits two phenomena:

1. They are essentially point sources, making direction finding pretty easy.
2. Their emissions decay rapidly with distance near the source

When the wireless modem jacks were causing interference on 80 meters, I built a
small 80-m loopstick antenna.  It was surprisingly sensitive and highly
directive.  When I pointed the antenna at a small source, the null quickly
pointed me right to the source.  It was bidirectional, so I had to triangulate
at times, but that was still pretty easy.

So, I was sent to Phoenix for an ARRL convention. I packed the loopstick and an
FT-817.  When I got back to the hotel, I went out on my 2nd floor lobby with
the loop and '817, to see what I could hear.  The band was pretty normal. I
then tuned near 3.53 MHz and, lo and behold, there was a wireless modem jack,
exhibiting all the tell-tale signs.  I had a rental car, so, got a direction,
then headed in that direction, to see if I could triangulate it.

I got to the neighborhood, got a bearing and headed in that direction. It got a
bit louder, so I stopped and got a different bearing, and pretty much figured
out where it was. I had to drive up and down about three streets, but I soon
found the house that was doing all the emitting. It was about a half mile from
the hotel!

I was able to drive past the house and, while driving, keep the null pointed at
the house, so this technique works up close or at some distance. If you use a
non-resonant loop, it won't be very sensitive, so you will have to get close to
the house the noise is coming from, but it is much better to find the house
than to get possibly misleading information about "what is it?"

If you have a cooperative resident, you may be able to turn off breakers one at
a time, then go on a hunt in the room powered by the breaker that causes the
noise to go away.

Ed, W1RFI/0