[RFI] RFI from LED Snap-In Modules

To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] RFI from LED Snap-In Modules
From: Jim McCook <JimW6YA@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 03:16:55 +0000
New construction in California does not allow screw-in sockets for ceiling lighting, so the usual case is to place cans that receive snap-in LED units with self contained switching power supplies.  I have had severe problems from these units from a new Shea Homes development over 1000 feet away.  Now my next door neighbor has rebuilt from the ground up and has already placed ceiling cans for the snap-in units, despite my request for a discussion on lighting months ago.  We have now discussed the RFI issue and the fact that RFI, should it occur, will have to be eliminated.

I am not aware of any snap-in LED modules that have built in analog (magnetic transformer) supplies, which would be ideal.  Is anyone out there aware of a specific manufacturer who provides these units with proper filtering and shielding that effectively eliminates RFI?  There must be some good ones out there somewhere.  If not, the owner is faced with replacing all the cans with screw in sockets for LED floodlights AFTER final inspection. He is aware of FCC rules Part 15 and 18 that prevent interference to hams.

Please let me know if you are aware of specific manufacturers who supply the proper snap-in units for ceiling lighting.   73, Jim W6YA