Re: [RFI] Fwd: LG Range RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Fwd: LG Range RFI
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 12:14:36 -0800
Hi Jim,

You might want to consider a combination of chokes that W6GJB built based on my design for use on our 2000i generator for county activations. It's two chokes in series, each wound on a2.4-in o.d. #31 cores with #12 Romex (black, white, bare). One is 8 turns on one core, the other is 8 turns on two cores. Depending on how your oven is wired, that may be enough conductors, but it if it uses neutral, you'll need four wires.

A solution I'm planning to build for my standby generator at home, which is 240 with a neutral, is to twist four conductors of #12 teflon using a drill motor to produce twisted quad, and to use it to wind the same two chokes. #12 teflon is preferred for three very important reasons -- it's stranded silver-coated copper, so lower resistance and VERY flexible, and the insulation is much less thick than THHN. The flexibility makes winding much easier, and the diameter makes it possible to fit more more turns on the cores.

Before you do this, I suggest that you stick a clamp-on ammeter on one of the phase conductors when the oven is running so that you know the load for the choke. #12 copper is rated for 20A, and I suspect the silver-copper would be even better. To minimize any issues with dissipation, I would NOT put these chokes in an enclosure.  Most noise like this on the ham bands is radiated as a common mode signal on AC wiring, and it is this component of the noise that the choke kills.

BTW -- it's likely that the noise is generated by either a switching power supply for the control panel or by a microprocessor in the panel. See http://k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf for advice on how to tell the difference between the two sources.

73, Jim K9YC