Re: [RFI] First Alert Wireless Smoke/CO Detectors

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] First Alert Wireless Smoke/CO Detectors
From: <krgoodwin@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2018 08:33:13 -0600
"If they run on batteries with NO wires connecting them to anything, there's
a chance that they're OK." (wrt RFI)

That is not allowed (at least in Texas) and is counter to a reasonably
implemented reliable protection system.  The security system "laws" require
that the detectors be connected to the security panel's backup power (if
installed by a licensed firm, dual redundant power sources).  But Jim is
correct on their susceptibility to RFI since I had to incorporate measures
to keep my RF from tripping the smoke and heat detectors in the security
system.  The amount of wire in a typical system makes for a great antenna or
wireless (power) charger since once I had a nearby lightning strike and all
the door and window reed relay contacts got welded together.  Ken K5RG