[RFI] re. Dana's noise problems in Victorville

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] re. Dana's noise problems in Victorville
From: Dennis Monticelli <dennis.monticelli@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 07:56:21 -0700
Dana,

I'm afraid we are all going to be engaged in whack-a-mole 24/7 before
long.  There are just too many switch-mode devices acting as unintentional
radiators in today's homes.  If the device is low energy the noise falls
away fairly quickly so only your own home or immediate neighbors are
usually involved, but some devices are high energy and can propagate for
quite a distance.

On this reflector we have all read about Solar Edge.  I've got one three
houses away and it's brutal.  We have also read about the new high
efficiency standards that are turning HVAC's into major noise sources.  I
researched the latter and new systems are going into my home as we speak.
Building on what has been commented upon before regarding variable speed
motors (known in the HVAC industry as ECM's), these are fast becoming a new
problem and with a noise output not limited to one property.  As has also
been noted these appliances do not have RFI standards in Part 15, only the
overarching "must not cause interference" clause.  Having studied HVAC
schematics and talked to techs of several large makers of HVAC systems,
ECM's will soon become standard and you will not be able to buy a unit with
a conventional motor drive (such as a  PSC) in the near future.  I bought
the latter but in 2020 I will not be able to in CA.  These PWM motor drives
(both in the furnace/heat exchanger and the compressor) are very
problematic and the salesmen and installers I spoke with have never heard
of the problem.  If you buy one make sure you are allowed to put in your
own filters during installation when the guts are fully exposed and then
hope for the best.  My installer had no issue with me adding the ferrites
because they look harmless to the operation (I added them for insurance).

Dana, the on and off noise sources you experience in Victorville may be
coming from the ON/OFF cycling of a newer A/C or Furnace in the area.

Dennis AE6C