Re: [RFI] What would cause noise like this?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] What would cause noise like this?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2019 02:21:16 -0700
Hi Frank,

Since I can't read any of the axis calibrations, I have no idea what I'm looking at -- i.e. what band, what calibration of the frequency axis.

73, Jim K9YC

On 11/1/2019 4:25 PM, Frank O'Donnell wrote:
Hi all, new to this list, hoping to learn enough to chase down some of my yet-unsolved RFI issues.

As a start, I'm wondering if the way that RFI I saw the other morning appeared in the receiver's waterfall might suggest anything about what the source of noise could be.

Here are two brief video clips from SDR Console, displaying a waterfall covering the LF/MF spectrum with input from an Elad FDM-S2 SDR and broadband vertical antenna.

The first clip is at 6:08 a.m. PDT, exactly one hour before local sunrise:

https://vimeo.com/370416556/e3cf9bcb09

At 00:23 of that clip, a pattern of heavy RFI starts, with lines in the waterfall spaced ~16 kHz apart (approx 6 lines per 100 kHz).

A couple of minutes later, I noticed that the RFI started toggling, with the pattern changing for a second or two, and then the RFI disappearing briefly before restarting. In the following clip this pattern starts at 00:09:

https://vimeo.com/370418392/afb0a0c4ef

Any thoughts? We live in a suburban neighborhood where lots are all approx 50 x 200 feet. There are at least two houses with solar panels within ~200 feet of us, and more down the block. I gather that RFI from solar panels can vary, based on the type of system and the deficiency responsible for the RFI. Do these clips show any kind of visual signature that might suggest the source?

Thanks and 73,

Frank K6FOD