Re: [RFI] Inter-station interference question.

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Inter-station interference question.
From: Martin Sole <hs0zed@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 18:00:28 +0700
Dear Jim and Mike,

Thanks very much for the prompt replies.

Jim, I think the chokes are either from your latest work using big 31 rings or from the design by GM3SEK using multiple big beads and with I believe at least two such chokes in series. That is for each of the feeds to the antennas. The chokes are placed just slightly before the Array solution balun, again one at each feed point. I will review your other document as well, I can see it references issues similar to that which I have observed first hand. Yes the harmonic DOES have a growl to it!

The cable is predominantly 1/2" heliax of various manufacturer, based on what is available in country but all used in pro installations so generally decent stuff. There is some RG214 and some may have a foil. I do know that some of the stubs and their associated coupling cables I prepared are made with an RG214 that has  2 braids plus a foil and a dielectric that has 0.8v.f.

If foil and braid coax is used what is the issue?

Is there a PIM risk between the braid and the foil?

I am familiar with PIM having seen it first hand at VHF though it was always true intermod, being two incident signals creating a third order product. Though in those cases we never considered or cared about harmonics, for other reasons, I can agree that the non linear device should indeed produce all possible products including harmonics of a single source.

Regards es tnx
Martin, HS0ZED