Re: [RFI] Garage Door RFI

To: Jim McCook <w6ya@cox.net>, RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Garage Door RFI
From: Gary K9GS <k9gs@gjschwartz.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 09:38:03 -0500
Hello Jim,I had a very similar problem that I discovered while working from
home during the COVID-19 lockdown.My driveway is about 150 feet long and I was
always able to operate the garage door opener from my mailbox.  All of a sudden
both my wife and I noticed that we had to be right in front of the garage door
to trigger the garage door opener. The first thing I did was change batteries
in the opener remote. No difference. I started thinking what has changed and I
figured out that it was my work laptop power supply.  My temporary work at home
office is in my dining room which is on the other side of the wall from my
garage. When I unplugged the laptop power supply the problem went away.Laptop
is a Dell Latitude series.According to the garage door opener manufacturer,
their remotes operate at 318 mHZ.73,Gary K9GS
-------- Original message --------From: Jim McCook <w6ya@cox.net> Date: 6/12/20
 8:37 AM  (GMT-06:00) To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com> Subject: [RFI] Garage
Door RFI For years I've easily opened my garage door with the car's remote
system from 400 ft. away.  A few weeks ago I noticed that was no longer
possible.  Even from my own driveway it was often hard to open it.  I had
installed a couple of 11w LED bulbs in the main motor unit.  I had no concern,
since I have 35 Cree LED floods in my house that do not create noise beyond a
few inches.  This was different.  Those bulbs generated noise in the 300Mhz
spectrum that interfered with the reception from the remote.  Replacing them
with 23w CFL lights solved the problem. Beware of LED lights in a garage door