Re: [RFI] Southern California Edison (RTVI Dept)

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Southern California Edison (RTVI Dept)
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 16:27:18 -0700
On 6/29/2020 4:01 PM, kd6bzn@gmail.com wrote:
I’m thinking of buying an SDRPlay or HackRF product instead, to display frequency
tuned zero span analysis.  I haven’t seen a video yet, but do either of these devices
(with available software) perform zero-span sweeps?

I don't know the HackRF product, but the SDRPlay, with several possible freeware control programs, is a very capable product for chasing RFI. So are DSP transceivers, like those made by Flex and Anan. This slide deck for a talk I've done at Pacificon, Visalia, and to several ham clubs includes several suitable SDRs that would work fine. When I prepared that talk I found a very nice website that listed more than a dozen SDR receivers, ranging in cost from about $25 to more than $500.

I've never heard of "frequency tuned zero span analysis." Do you mean listen to audio at a single RX frequency and display the audio spectrum? That would be a software function. Some poking on the internet (or even asking around among SDR users) would likely find control software that does that.

Here's a great starting place. https://www.dit-dit-dit.com/

73, Jim K9YC