Re: [RFI] USB RFI

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] USB RFI
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 13:54:46 -0400
I can only speak to what worked here.  I used to constantly lose connection
to N1MM and also to my Winkeyer (and later, my YCCC SO2R+ box).all on
separate USB cables.

Occasionally, even at QRP levels.

I was plagued with it. My shack looked like a stockpile of Ferrite had
gobbled up all my cables.

In the end, the one thing that proved most valuable was actually super
simple.  I took a teeny tiny wire...perhaps a #26, stripped a couple inches
of insulation off the end of it and wrapped it around the shell/shield of
one of the USB cables entering my (plasticky) 10yr old laptop.  I attached
that wee pigtail of wire to my station ground with a larger wire.

Voila! 99.9% of my RFI instantly went bye bye.

Good luck.

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB