Re: [RFI] SOLAR INSTALLATION PROS/CONS

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] SOLAR INSTALLATION PROS/CONS
From: Frank <kibbish@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 15:00:53 -0700
My personal experience is that you will have no RFI problems with a solar
system that uses individual microinverters at each panel so long as you use
microinverters from Enphase.  I have 22 panels (320W each) on my roof, and
some of them sit less than 30 feet below my 6-band hex beam.  I have
absolutely no RFI from them on any band.  I've spoken to several other hams
that also have Enphase microinverters on their home solar systems, and also
have no RFI problems.

One thing that definitely helps in designing the system is having a solar
installer that is willing to work with you to ensure the system is RFI
free.  The solar installation company that I selected knew nothing about
potential RFI issues when I first contacted them, but they looked at my
concern as an opportunity for them to learn.  They were happy to put me in
touch not only with their internal systems engineer but also one of their
non-ham customers.  That customer let me bring my KX3 and a portable
antenna to their home and do a considerable amount of RFI sniffing on
multiple bands to ensure that their system (which was similar to what I was
planning to install) would not generate RFI.

73,
 Frank N6OI