Re: [RFI] Tower/Antenna Reradiation

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Tower/Antenna Reradiation
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 20:08:21 -0800
On 12/5/2021 4:47 PM, Mike Wetzel wrote:
I have been fighting a bad 2nd harmonic problem for a number of years mainly
from 40 to 20 meters.  A few years ago a double stub on 40 only reduced the
2nd harmonic about 15db so I thought something else was going on.

Hi Mike,

In addition to the rotators, W3LPL, who was the first I heard bring this to our attention, also reminded us that non-linear devices anywhere near TX antennas can be creating the intermod that produces the harmonics. He observed that SMPS are notorious for this. Suspect any power control electronics -- stuff in your home or in neighbors' homes. The two of you may be able to DF while you rotate TX antennas to excite the sources, and the RX to detect them.

These intermod generators are everywhere -- several years ago, W6GJB'scontesting trailer was set up in a National Forest in a relatively remote part of the Sierra Nevada. Glen and I have made it super clean of issues, but we encountered massive intermod. The possibilities -- a cell site at 500-1,000 yards, the RV owned by one of our team members, other campers parked along the access road by which we reached our site. Several years ago, I witnessed the problem on a brief visit to W7RN, listening with a second set of cans next to N6TV running SS CW.

73, Jim K9YC