RTTY

[RTTY] UBN Analysis and Log Checking

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] UBN Analysis and Log Checking
From: w6otc@garlic.com (W6OTC)
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 22:45:04 +0000
Here are some comments on these issues:

First, we should all consider ourselves fortunate that Eddie, G0AZT, is the
master log checker in RTTY WW and WPX.  Most of you know him and know him to
be fair and knowledgeable about the RTTY contesting and DXing world.  He
spends many hundreds of hours on each contest that he checks.

Second, please read the e-mail to this list sent earlier today from Ron,
K5DJ.  Big Ron has many years of experience in log-checking, and his message
reflects some basic truths about the process.

Third, as a matter of fact, UA9S and UA9W are in Zone 16, not 17.  This is a
matter resolved at the Oblast level under the CQ zone descriptions.  Some of
these folks seem to believe they are in zone 17 but that does not make it
so.  However, how their reporting might be handled in contest log-checking
is a different matter (see Fifth below).

Fourth, the results in 2001 CQ/RJ WW were computed and compiled in a fair
and consistent manner.  As Ron suggests, this fact is the most important
single issue in log-checking.  So long as we are consistent, our resolution
of issues like the Z. 16/17 question simply makes no difference to the
results.  It is inconsistency that may produce unfair results.  No
placements would be changed if UA9S/UA9W were allowed in zone 17.

Fifth, Ron suggests that if a station is consistently sending a bad zone, we
should just ignore it, at least for stations who record what he sent (e.g.
Z. 17) and those who record where he actually is (Z. 16)--but not for those
who put him somewhere else (Z. 4).  That is a reasonable suggestion.  I will
ask WT4I to look at developing an algorithm that will generate a "backwards"
report which shows "which callsign generated the most errors in people's
logs?"  That would help identify errors being generated by particular
stations and copied by others.

Sixth, the idea that manual checking is superior to computer checking is
simply wrong, and obviously not based on experience.  For RTTY WW and WPX we
receive almost 1,500 logs with well over 800,000 QSO's.  For fairness and
consistency, computer checking is essential.  That being said, I will note
that there are always some matters that require and receive human judgment
before a final result is reported.

I will see you at Dayton.

73, Glenn, W6OTC
Contest Director