RTTY

Re: [RTTY] 2004 RTTY Roundup -lets stir the pot again!

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 2004 RTTY Roundup -lets stir the pot again!
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 10:02:55 -0800
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 15:40:27 -0000, Barry wrote:

I can also tune in a RTTY signal
without using any tuning aids.  I'm sure other long-time RTTYers can
do the same, if not more.

You must have that hearing ability known as "perfect pitch". I and many
others can come close, but not exactly right.

I am always surprised how close I can come and I am not perfect pitch by any means (in fact, I have a constant low level ringing in the ears).

I do S&P almost all the time, and the frequent exercise probably helps. Quite often, I would S&P to a signal by ear, and then looked up at the crossed ellipse display to find myself within 20 Hz or so. One day, I should see if I am better at the end of a contest than at the beginning of one.

Also, when the FSK signal is not completely in the passband of the rig, I find it is easier to tune for the center by ear than with a cross banana display.

73
Chen, W7AY