RTTY

Re: [RTTY] microHAM & Kenwood TS-450s

To: David VE3VID <ve3vid@hotmail.com>, RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] microHAM & Kenwood TS-450s
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 11:15:16 -0400
David,

> I've got everthing working and have made a few PSK contacts but there's
> something wrong with my RTTY signal. MMTTY is configured for FSK; the
> microKEYER keys up the rig and the rig is transmitting, but other
> stations only reply QRZ?? a couple times then continue their CQ call.

Make sure you are using RTTY mode in the TS-450 and have not engaged
"REV" on the rig (pg 38, TS-450S/TS-690S Instruction Manual).  Also,
make sure that the start-up menu item 38 is set to ON (Mark is closed)
per the Instruction Manual section 4-11-15 (pg. 52, 53).

 >how would I know if I was transmitting in REVERSE?

Do you have another receiver?  If so, make sure that "Diddle Letters"
is not selected in microHAM Router (Keyboard tab), select RTTY mode
on the rig, close the PTT on MK II, and note the frequency (of the
single tone) on the other rig.  Now, temporarily check the "invert"
box on Router's "Ports" tab and note if the frequency moves up or
down (e.g., 14,080.000 to 14,080.170 or 14,080.000 to 14,079.830).
If the frequency moves down, your shift is correct ... if it moves
up, you are reverse.

The alternative is to get a local on the phone or VHF while also
being on HF/RTTY and trying the various combinations/settings to
get it right.

Based on the TS-450/TS690 manual (and Kenwood has been known to
have errors in their manuals <G>). I would expect the start-up
menu 38 to be ON, the TS-450 to be in RTTY, MK II to be normal
(do not check "invert") and MMTTY to have no checks in the "Reverse"
box on the Demodulator tab or the "invert Logic" box on the TX
tab (although the last should have no effect with the MK II
FSK port).

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 7/9/2011 9:33 AM, David VE3VID wrote:

> Hi Is anyone using the microKEYER II with a Kenwood rig for RTTY? I
picked one up to use with a TS-450s as a dedicated digital mode rig.
I've got everthing working and have made a few PSK contacts but there's
something wrong with my RTTY signal. MMTTY is configured for FSK; the
microKEYER keys up the rig and the rig is transmitting, but other
stations only reply QRZ?? a couple times then continue their CQ call. I
was doing RTTY successfully with AFSK thru a Signalink, how would I know