Re: [SD-User] Winkey and character spacing

To: <SD-USER@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [SD-User] Winkey and character spacing
From: "Paul O'Kane" <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 23:31:44 -0000
From: "gw0etf" <gw0etf@btinternet.com>

> ... variable character spacing (^,,, in SD) - or rather the
> lack of it in Winkey.

It's included in V11.07 to be released within a few days,
although I've not tested it as it works only on a WinKey
V9 chip - mine is on order.

I used WinKey in CQWW and, more and more, I think that
automatic CW (for one's own callsign) is too fast for a
given wpm setting.

How can it be too fast - do I hear you ask?  It's simple!
Set WinKey, or any memory keyer, to send your call 2 or 3
times, then send the same thing manually with the paddles
- at the same wpm setting, of course.  Automatic CW is
almost always faster (takes less time) and, to my ear at least,
seems to run the characters together.

This doesn't matter when you're sending someone else's call,
but it matters when you want another station to read your
call first time.

Perhaps there's an argument for applying a "padding factor",
similar to the serial padding factor (in the CWZERO command)
to the #R keyer parameter for own callsign?  Any suggestions?

73,
Paul EI5DI