[SD-User] SD on Ubuntu

To: sd-user@contesting.com
Subject: [SD-User] SD on Ubuntu
From: "Dave Sergeant" <dave@davesergeant.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 19:38:00 -0000
I am currently playing with Ubuntu 8.04 on one of my machines so
naturally tried to see how SD would run under Wine. I can find little
guidance on the web on how to set it up, apart from a single email from
Ian G4FSU this June on using it on an Asus.

I found like Ian that you cannot run it in normal Wine from the start
menu - it sits there for a few seconds showing 'starting SD' then
crashes out. But I can indeed open it from the Gnome Terminal using
'wineconsole sd.exe'. I guess I could easily set up a script to do this
from a desktop shortcut.

Once running it seems basically to work (not linked to the rig as it is
in a different room..). But notice a couple of things:

The window is fixed in size and cannot be adjusted, fairly small on my
desktop. But if I set the fontsize to 24 it gives me an almost full
screen window.

A very noticeable delay every time I type something it, with the cursor
visibly moving between various fields during callsign entry. So bad it
would drive me nuts in a contest...

Machine is a 550MHz P3 with 512Mb ram, not the latest but most other
Linux apps (native and Wine) run perfectly OK.

Any tips on how to do it, and perhaps it can be documented somewhere
for others.

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com