Re: [SD-User] POST mode

To: <sd-user@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [SD-User] POST mode
From: "Dave Sergeant" <dave@davesergeant.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 06:57:28 -0000
On 23 Nov 2008 at 22:48, sandro_i7ale@alice.it wrote:

> Hi all,
> some of my friends here wanted to use SD in POST mode, for the INORC
> contest last weekend (they did not get enough practice before the
> contest, or they are not good enough with a keyboard to use it in real
> time, keying with a separate key/bug/keyer).
>
> They asked me how to change date and band.
> I tried that myself and found that for the band you have to enter  a
> "time" to let the cursor go to the "call" field, and here you can type
> the new band to change it as usual. (the "time" field is then cleared
> and ready for the true time of the next qso).  It is not possible to
> change band in the "time" field. For the date I found that if the
> previous qso time is, for example, 2359, and the following qso time is
> 0004,  SD sees that it must be a different date, and asks you to input
> the new one.
>
> Is that correct or is there something else which I did not discover?
>
> Thanks and 73
> Sandro, i7ALE

I have input many IOTA logs post event for the adjudicators. What you
are doing is essentially correct. Points to note are:

You must always be in the QSO entry field to give SD any commands such
as changing bands or date. You can get there very easily by just
pressing Enter to use the last entered time.

For times in the current hour just type the last two digits, ie the
minutes. For the first QSO of a new hour type it in full - if you
forget this SD will prompt you for the full date and time.

It is quicker to type the band in metres, ie 160M, rather than
frequency.

One annoyance is that SD will always demand serials incrementing by one
each time and the contest exchange details like zone, IOTA ref etc must
match for all QSOs with a station. This can be annoying when doing it
from a paper log since you may have made errors and you will have to
correct any anomalies in the Cabrillo file afterwards in a text editor.
When entering IOTA logs from other stations I want to enter the details
exactly as received, errors and all....

POST entry is in fact fairly quick and easy and doesn't normally cause
any problems.

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com