Fan Summary

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Fan Summary
From: woffutt@davinci.netaxis.com (Wallace Offutt)
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 21:08:05 -0500 (EST)
This is a belated summary of the responses I received to my December 21
question about the lack of a fan on the OMNI VI.

I received 12 responses, 11 of which reported that the absence of a fan is
not a problem and that the rig functions perfectly under contest
operating conditions.  Most of these 11 respondents had high praise for
their OMNI VIs.  The only report of a problem came from KO7Y, who wrote:

"It should hold up fine with no fan.  I used mine on 40M at W3LPL for
CQWW.  The only thing to watch are the BFO freqs!  Mine tended to wander
around with heat.  LPL's place was much warmer than my station (I wonder
why - all those 3-1000's going?) and I found I was transmitting almost
500 Hz away from where I was sposed to be.  Apparently, the trimmer caps
used to set the BFO freqs collect some solder flux and other junk during
the mfg process, and this causes them to change value & otherwise get
flaky.  Hosing them down with TF solvent should fix them.  I got
replacement trimmers from TT for free, but haven't put them in yet.  Most
of my household is in cardboard boxes cuz we're moving in a few days,
otherwise I'd be able to tell you if this fixed the problem."

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem.  It sounds very unusual.

Many thanks to N2BCC, WD0GVY, KM9P, W8CAR, K4XU, W3GOI, WA1GUV, KL7HF,
N6AZE, PA0RCT, NP4Z and KO7V for their assistance.

I may have a couple of other questions as I get ready to place my order
over the next few days.   I hope to use my new rig in the CQ WW 160 CW
contest.

Again, thanks to all.

73,

Hal Offutt K8HVT/1 Darien, CT