Omni VI filter ringing and "sleep" in CW TX?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Omni VI filter ringing and "sleep" in CW TX?
From: bill@akorn.net (Bill Fisher)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 16:19:29 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 28 Mar 1996, Clark Savage Turner WA3JPG wrote:

> 2.  "sleep" during CW TX.

> I have never
> noticed anything unusual when I have a long transmission in CW
> either.

1. Try and do anything (like clear the RIT) while TXing on CW.
2. Watch a computer program that likes to poll the radio all of the time
error out when it doesn't get a response from the radio because you are
TXing.

Another problem I have had:  The radio will all of sudden QSY in to
never-never land.  I assume it got zapped by RF and the microprocessor
freaked.  The display will say some weird non-HF frequency.  Only way to
clear it is by turning the radio off and on again.  Do this a few times
in a contest and your patience for the radio grows thin... Even if the RX
is superior.

I also have a problem with drive power.  Mine will put out about 95w on
most bands.  I don't see an easy way to increase this power.  At 95w, my
pair of 3-500Z's get to about 1KW.  At 125W they will go to 1500W.

73

Bill

Bill Fisher, President  | bill@akorn.net        | Atlanta Internet Access |
Akorn Access, Inc.      | http://www.akorn.net  | and WWW Services.       |
770-569-1550            |                       |                         |