Hercules 1 with non-TenTec Transceiver

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Hercules 1 with non-TenTec Transceiver
From: turner@safety.ics.uci.edu (Clark Savage Turner WA3JPG)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 13:53:35 -0700
> I acquired an older version of the Hercules amp, the one with the
> 50-volt power supply. I have two concerns: (1) I believe the amp
> requires +12 to 15 VDC to "enable" the amp (which was designed for
> an Omni II, or so I hear) when transmitting. Most non-TenTec xcvrs
> just have a ground keying line to key the relays in the amp. Has
> anyone successfully used the Herc I with other'n TT xcvrs? If so,

Do you have the Herc I manual?  It is very clear, and explains all
this.  There are no extra requirements, a ground keying line works
fine. I used a Herc I with my Kenmore 440 for quite a while.  The
only sensitive thing was the ALC adjustment.  It takes a while
to get a feel for the proper ALC adjustment that won't shut down
the amp early....and you have to find the compromise adjustment
that will work for all bands.

> let me know how. (2) the bandswitch actuates a stepper relay that's
> *VERY* loud and obnoxious because it seems to step through 360
> degrees every time you do a band change....is this normal?

It didn't always step through all 360, but did when coming up from
power down, I believe.  And I think it did when changing bands in
one direction but not the other.  At any rate, it is probably normal,
yes, it is loud.  The true test is whether the amp puts out good
power, it won't do this if the stepper is hooking in the wrong
bandpass filters.

The Herc I is a fine amp.  I was sorry to let mine go.  It was
designed to match the OMNI-D series, if you have ever seen the
OMNI-D (A,B and C), they seem to be in the same box.

Clark
WA3JPG