Corsair Spec, pse?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Corsair Spec, pse?
From: turner@safety.ics.uci.edu (Clark Savage Turner WA3JPG)
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 16:49:33 -0700
> Power supply - is it 12V Dc or mains?

12 vdc

> TX output - max and min on CW  (I enjoy QRP)

100 watt output.  You can adjust it down low.  I never experimented
to see how low it goes from the front panel, but it was pretty low.

> Does it provide for an FSK input?

Nothing I recall.

> RX filtering - standard and options.  Is there a tunable notch?

Yes, tunable notch.  Wonderful filtering options.  The filters are
higher quality and cheaper than our Japanese cousins charge.  The
Corsair II has 16 poles standard, one 8 pole filter at 9 MHz
and one at 6.3 MHz.  The Corsair I had a standard 4 pole filter at
9 and an 8 pole filter at 6.3 for a 12 pole total at 2.4 KHz
bandwidth for SSB.

The options are 1.8, 0.5 and 0.25, standard options, switched from
the front panel (in the 2nd IF....the newer OMNI's give you one
more choice at the 1st IF for one extra filter choice over the
Corsairs, if I recall correctly.)

The PBT circuit moves one filter against the other.  WONDERFUL on
CW.

> AGC - is it IF or AF-derived?

IF.  Good AGC in the Corsairs.

> What bands are covered?

160 - 10 and WARC included in both Corsair I and II.

> Is the VFO synthesized or the classic Ten-Tec PTO?

Ten Tec PTO.  Needs occasional rebuild.  Pretty darned stable under
normal conditions.

> What's the difference twixt Corsair and Corsair II?

The Corsair II had an additional -

16 poles standard as explained above.
bandwidth tuning (audio) in addition to notch filtering
CW keyer built in

> What else should I have asked?

That is about it.  Both good rigs.  No real big difference as far as
I recall from when I owned one of each.  The Corsair II is much
prettier to look at :-) .

Clark
WA3JPG