PM series side panel repair

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: PM series side panel repair
From: yee@mipg.upenn.edu (Conway Yee)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 96 18:32:54 EDT
While I am not totally clear on what the problem is, I have dealt with
a number of problems with screws/nuts of older equipment not fitting in
after openning up the panels.  Typically, I find that the plastic (and
sometimes metal) strips.  One technique I have used successfully is to
stick in a small piece of wood into the stripped hole and use that to
anchor the screw.  Personally, I use pieces of chopsticks since bamboo
seems to work incredibly well.

Alternatively, you can tap the hole and use a larger screw but I don't
particularly like that idea since this generally ruins the symmetry
with respect to the remaining screws.

If the problem is that the screw is now too short, perhaps you can use
a piece of wood somehow between the hole and the screw?

Personally, I love working with wood.  It is a much more forgiving medium
than plastic or metal.

73 de Conway Yee, N2JWQ