No subject

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: No subject
From: turner@safety.ics.uci.edu (Clark Savage Turner WA3JPG)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 14:49:23 -0700
> Perhaps I misunderstood the original post concerning "PTO BACKLASH", but I
> thought the problem was that the dial actually backed up ie: actually tuned
> backwards a couple or few hundred hertz.  If so, this is not backlash.
> Backlash would simply be the knob moving without changing frequency due to
> slack in the tuning mechanism (slack in PTO or slack in dial cord).

I always called that "backlash".  Only experienced it on the Ten
Tec PTO. It actually moves the knob backwards.

> What I have found to be the culprit in a rig actually moving the freq
> backward when the tuning knob is released, is to have the knob shoved too
> tightly against the felt washer.  This puts too much friction on the tuning,
> requires too much force to turn the knob, and it will actually back-up a bit
> when released.

I never incurred that one.  I had this exact problem more than once and
it was the spring tension on the back of the PTO just a hair too tight.
That spring tension is critical to get just right for the PTO to move
nicely, and not backwards after you turn the knob.  Never had the felt
washer problem, but will note that in my bag of tricks.

Clark
WA3JPG