Are Ten-tecs really so good

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Are Ten-tecs really so good
From: seay@alaska.net (Del Seay)
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 17:51:28 -0800
William JOHNSON wrote:

> Are quirks like this engineered out of the newer types?
>  I agree the factory is great to deal with, but is the
> underlying rig (say an Omni) as good as the best from
> across the Pacific?

Hi Bill: I've had the Omni-V and now the Omni-6. (By the way, I
am a professional Telecommunications Engr). Having also had or
played with most of the so-called "JA Super Rigs, I wouldn't
swap. I'm not going to tell you that the TT line doesn't have
quirks, because they do. However, all of the "Slant-Tracks" have
them, too. For example, I am not excited about the keying waveform
or the QSK in the Omni-6. It was much better in the Omni-V. But the
five had some problems that were cured in the Six.

As to the "Radio-Shack" look inside - can't understand that.
If you look at the JA pc boards, you'll find a lot of Phenolic
boards. The Ten Tecs I've looked at all used good quality G-10
boards or equivalent. Oh yeah - theres lots of room in the Ten-Tecs,
where the JA rigs are compact and pretty. That's why most of us like
the T-T rigs. And of course there is the operation of the radios.
The Omni-6 receiver is head and shoulders above any and all of the
competition. The noise floor and S/N ratio is so much better (as
measured on the bench) than any JA rig I've looked at. Internally
generated noise is the lowest of any rig I've seen since tube days!

Am I biased?  Yup!  Good Luck and 73  de KL7HF

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.html