Scout/Argo drift

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Scout/Argo drift
From: morawski@azrael.mitre.org (Paul Morawski)
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 17:03:01 -0500 (EST)
Stuart, et al,

No, we are not imagining the drift problem.  I use an external
keyer and I get QRH reports all the time on CW.  When at my
home I monitor my Scout with my Paragon and I hear it first
hand.

In addition, I've done cold-to-hot tests using an external
keyer and a frequency counter and have recorded shifts of
up to 150Hz in pathological situations.

Even when using an external keyer, the processor needs
a 60 ms or so gap to keep things under control.  If you
deny the processor of that time, as my worst-case test
did, then no correction occurs.

It's a great rig, and its stability is OK for most CW
situations.  But there is a real issue which can't be
attributed to people's imaginations or the QST review.

Paul Morawski, AA3DD
morawski@mitre.org

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.html