Centaur 411 Amp

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Centaur 411 Amp
From: RD501@aol.com (RD501@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 09:37:32 -0500
Hello.  Like you, I am also having numerous problems with my Centaur, except,
I bought a NEW one.

First of all, the Wattmeter was completely out of calibration, or should I
say it wasn't calibrated at all.  I called Ten-Tec, and they instructed me in
how to calibrate it, which I did, but am only getting 375-400 watts out as
indicated by a Bird wattmeter.

After some investigation, it was found that the SWR between my rig and the
amp was very very high, close to 3:1 on all bands, except over that on 10
meters.  After more long distance phone calls to Ten-Tec, they sent me out a
new "Input Board".  This was after they had me check the cathode bias, look
at the tubes in operation for uneven reddish glow on the plates, and check
various other things.  These were all done over day-time long distance phone
calls, at 23 cents per minute!

As I send this, I am in the process of soldering in the input board.  We'll
see if that cures things.

Some comments on my part:

1.  This is a really nicely laid out amp, and looks to be of decent quality,
especially considering the price.

2.  The QSK is fabulous on CW.

3.  The quality control should have been much much better.  All these
problems cropped up right from the start, which means it left the factory
this way.  If a problem develops after a week or so of operation, that's not
the manufacturer's fault.  Shipping something that isn't functioning up to
spec is.

4.  The service people at Ten-Tec have been very very helpful and courteous.
 I had the replacement board in my hands two days after they said they'd ship
it.

My intent here is not to slam Ten-Tec.  Its to do what hams do best,
communicate (especially about equipment) and any deficiencies that exist.
 C'mon Ten-Tec, do the QC thing.  We don't want you to go the way of AEA or
Heathkit!

73s
Bob Dianetti, WB2JGH

--