OMNI VII wish list

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: OMNI VII wish list
From: vhatley@flash.net (Vernon A. Hatley)
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 08:25:54 +0000
I would like to see an accurate power meter in the Omni VII.  My Omni
V meter was fairly accurate from 75 watts to 100 watts but below that
it was terrible.  At the very minimum power setting the meter showed
25 watts out; on a Bird meter and an Oak Hills QRP meter it showed
4.5 watts out.  Not even close.

I'm not sure I want to see a built in antenna tuner.  They are nice
but most have a limited range in what they can match.  Also, if you
want to run ladder line, you need an external tuner anyway.

Built in keyer?  Hmmm.  I don't think so.  Keyers are like paddles, a
very personal thing.  Each brand of keyer has it's own feel, when you
get used to one type, the others just don't feel right.  I vote leave
the keyer out.

DSP?  For sure.  I am a believer in DSP, no high-end rigs should be
without it.

And since by its price the Omni is a mid to high-end rig; how about
adding a separate RX VFO,  like the FT-1000MP.  NOT just split, but a
separate VFO knob right there on the front panel.

I also propose an addition to the Ten Tec line.  How about a rig in
between the Scout and the Omni series.  The Scout is a wonderful
little rig, but simple ie, no split capabilities and such.  The Omni
VI or VII (hint, hint) are outstanding rigs but out of the price
range of many HAMS.  How about something like a Scout but with split
VFOs and all the bands built in at a price between $1000 to $1700
dollars.  $549 to $2400 is quite a jump in product line.

But alas, if I remember correctly Scott said Ten Tec had no
plans for any new rigs for the next few years so I am afraid all our
wishes are falling on deaf ears. :-(
--
KK5RO
Vernon A. Hatley