[TenTec] Omni VI owners

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI owners
From: ea2sn@jet.es (Jon Iza)
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 14:45:58 -0800
Read here on the reflector:
>I hear rumor from Eu friends that Europeans dont buy the Omni VI because it
>cant handle strong signals....

Nope, Europeans don't buy the Omni VI because TenTec is not interested
on going thru the ordeal of getting their rigs certified for the European
EMC directives, so there are no detailers of their products.
It's a relatively small market due to the high taxes/distributor benefit/
exchange ratio (i.e. usually a 1000 US$ gets exchanged for 1000 Pounds
in the UK, about 1650 US$... not bad, eh?)

Thus, TenTec gear is scarce as albino gorillas (we have the only one at
Zoo) and highly estimated by the owners: I do have two Argonauts ;-).
Second hand market is non-existent and, if so, prices are sky rocketed.

Moreover, when asked, TenTec has been offering ONLY for European hams the
possibility to enhance the front end with some special PIN diodes. Folks, don't
this at home! Someone did and found out it didn't work well. Lets the pros do
work...: TenTec knows its business and I've been told they didn't recommend the
change for American users...

The only possibility for us is to travel to the US and "smuggle" one under the
armpit... as I will try to do next Summer!
jon, ea2sn
Jon Iza   ea2sn  since 1978   qrp'er  at large!    <mailto:ea2sn@jet.es>
** One's needs are proportional to the square of his/her incompetence **
EAqrp 26 = Gqrp 1216 = ARCI 5153 = qrp-L 313 = NorCal 701 = ARS 202

FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/TenTecFAQ.html