[TenTec] AGC attack time mod/audio filters re Omni-D, B series

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] AGC attack time mod/audio filters re Omni-D, B series
From: ataylor@midas.llnl.gov (Allan G. Taylor)
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 13:16:28 -0800 (PST)
TT gang:

I have a B-series Omni-D which has not (to my knowledge) been modified in any
significant way. I recently came across an article in the May 1983 QST
describing a
mod to reduce the AGC attack time in the Omni-D B series rigs. My first
question for
the group is whether there are any other known issues having to do with this
mod or
any better mods on the same problem. The mod is to take the audio filter set
out of
the agc loop while leaving in the audio notch filter.

A more troublesome and related problem is that the 500 Hz filter is almost
useless
because of low audio out and ringing as it is presently configured. I am
contemplating rewiring the audio filter deck of the selectivity switch when
making
the above-mentioned mod so that I get audio filter selectioins 0 and 1 rather
than
positions 2 and 3 when using the 500 Hz filter. This would eliminate the audio
part
of the ringing and I can hear just what the crystal filters are doing.

Are there any TTers who have experience or thoughts on this problem?  I have
used the
Omni-VI at the club station here and it is absolutely WONDERFUL when in 500 Hz
position. While I don't expect that level of improvement, being able to use the
sharp filter would be very nice.    Otherwise,   does anyone want to buy a 500
Hz
filter (!?)

For the record, the only mod to the rig was the addition of two connections
which
cut into the key line, allowing control of the Titan amp.

Grant  Taylor   K7GT

k7gt@llnl.gov

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/TenTecFAQ.html