[TenTec] Paragon problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Paragon problem
From: bc215@freenet.carleton.ca (Ric Guidone)
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 21:34:15 -0400 (EDT)

The Canadian Red Cross Society Headquarters amateur radio station
(VA3CRC) is using a Ten Tec Paragon, Ser # 585-00055.   We are also running
an AL-80 amplifier.    The antenna is a TH 7 DXX at 100 feet.   The distance
from the rig to the antenna is approximately 200 feet.

We have been experiencing what appears to be rf feedback.   We have been
told that our audio sounds like a 2 meter FM radio that is off frequency.
All of these symptoms appear to be intermittent.   When keying the mike or
using vox there is a small amount of noise in the headset even with the
monitor level as low as the pot will allow.   After a few seconds of talk
there is a small popping sound.      We have tried  alternate grounding
methods to no avail,  processor in/out, mic gain up/down, vox gain/antivox.
Today we spent several hours ensuring that all connectors, screws and ICs
were tight.   We thought we had the problem solved when we disconnected the
speaker lead.  By the time we were finished we had it re-connected and  the
problem had disspeared, but only temporarily.  Our latest guess is that
there is a problem in the monitor circuit.

Anyone have any clues that might help solve our problem.

Thanks in advance

73

Ric (for VA3CRC)