[TenTec] Corsair II problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Corsair II problem
From: turner@safety.ICS.UCI.EDU (Clark Savage Turner WA3JPG)
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 20:41:32 -0700
Hello All:

I just got a Corsair II via UPS, the box has a small gouge, but the
rig didn't get gouged, though it doesn't work.

Anyone ever have experience with this problem:

1.  Receiver very weak, no S meter readings even though weak
sounding signals present (other receiver over S9 all over the place)

2.  PBT has NO EFFECT on any signals I can receive

3.  I can hear both sidebands even in SSB mode, can go up and down
on a carrier from above to below.

I suspect a filter got shaken and one of the crystals is not working
much anymore.  Does this make sense?  A bad filter attenuating
the signals and allowing both sidebands to come through?

Now, does the lack of any PBT activity tell me which filter to
suspect?  Is it likely the 6.3 IF filter or the 9 IF filter?  I
have a spare 9 sitting in a box, and may swap it out (though it
is soldered in!  Didn't expect that.)

Anyone here have any tips to claim the damages against UPS?  I
trust the guy who shipped to me, and he had run it and it worked
fine before he shipped it to me (packed with solid styrofoam
frame and odd styrofoam and paper packing.)

Thanks for any help you might give me.

Clark
WA3JPG