[TenTec] Re: Omni VI and VI plus frequency drift.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Omni VI and VI plus frequency drift.
From: sales@tentec.com (Ten-Tec Inc.)
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 12:09:12 Eastern Daylight Time
Hello all from Sevierville:

At 07:40 AM 5/16/97 -0700, Steve N4LQ wrote:
>Steve Jones wrote:
>>
>> I have heard alot of rumors about the frquency drifting on the Omni VI
>> series radios, is this fact or fiction. I would appreciate any and all
>> replies and 73, DE-KS4HK, Steve
>> jsjones@rbnet.com
>>

>Yes if you consider 40 cycles of warm-up drift a problem.
>(...deleted)
>
>I believe the Company considers less than 50hz drift to be acceptable.
>Whether it is or not is up to you.

Similar to the words we use when speaking with prospective Omni-VI+
owners on the phone.  Of course, I wouldn't put it as bluntly as that :-)
Because the radio is spec'd to within plus or minus 50 Hz, if your main
concern with an amateur transceiver is to have it be within 1 to 2 Hz of WWV
then this may not be the rig that is going to meet your needs.  I am always
careful to explain this when asked.

>Personally, in 1997, I would expect
>better stability. I'm willing to put up with it in order to enjoy the
>good receiver. Others may not be inclined to do so. To me, the worst
>side effect of this is being off frequency with other stations. This
>is not only annoying but uses up extra band space.

We consider it to be acceptable because that's what the Omni-VI and
Omni-VI Plus are spec'd to.  We rate the frequency stability at plus
or minus 50 Hz after initial warm-up.  The stability is a function of all
the other factors you mentioned in your message.  If we used a DDS
system the frequency stability would certainly be greater, comparable to
DDS Japanese equipment, but our superior receiver performance would
be compromised.  We chose to go with the lower stability spec and better
receive performance.

>While we are on the subject of weak points. Being a long time cw op, I
>can spot an Omni-6 by ear. The keying has a hard sound upon key closure
>and there seems to be just the slightest frequency variation, dare I say
>chirp? It's a bit tiresome to listen to when you're on the other end.
>Don't get on my case because many others have noticed this too. I even
>heard one of TT's own boys using a new 6+ with the same twirpy sound.
>How about looking into that guys?

Actually the "6+" you heard me using the day I QSO'ed you on 80 CW is really
my original Omni-VI with the option 1 DSP and logic chips installed, so it's
still an "electric" VI.

I asked Jack Burchfield (TT president and head of engineering) about this
question this morning.  The keying for the Omni-V and Omni-VI is the same
on CW transmit.  We were asked a couple of years ago by a European operator
about the CW keying in the Omni-VI and provided him with a small mod to
try with a couple of resistors and caps to attempt to change the keying
sound you're referring to.  His results were inconclusive, and we have not
re-visited this issue in engineering as a result.  We are willing to have
a second look, however.

>Hope I didn't upset any of you guys who's XYL wears TenTec shirts to
>bed. I'll leave this alone...... By the way, I've got a Paragon, Omni-5,
>Hercules 2 and 238 tuner.
>So far, nothing I've found is more satisfying for cw.
>
>73 N4LQ Steve.

Thanks Steve, and I understand your comments are in the interest of us
making our equipment perform optimally.  All feedback negative or positive
always welcomed.

My wife prefers Grateful Dead t-shirts :-)

73,
Scott Robbins, W4PA
Amateur Radio Sales, Ten-Tec, Inc.

() Ten-Tec, Inc., 1185 Dolly Parton Pkwy., Sevierville, TN 37862  ()
() Manufacturers of amateur radio equipment, military and         ()
() commercial use HF radio equipment, custom aluminum and steel   ()
() enclosures.  Fully equipped tool and die facility supplying    ()
() the metal and plastic injection mold industries.  Potential    ()
() tool and die, custom enclosure, or communications electronics  ()
() customer?  Contact us.  We do small quantity jobs.  Visit our  ()
() amateur radio sales web page at <http://www.tentec.com>        ()