[TenTec] semi-break control option: Omni (B and C) series and TT QSK amp

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] semi-break control option: Omni (B and C) series and TT QSK amps
From: ataylor@midas.llnl.gov (Allan G. Taylor)
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 08:39:50 -0700 (PDT)
I am about to implement a mod to my old trustworth Omni-D B-series xcvr wherein
a possible failure mode of the TT QSK amps can be delayed. That obvious failure
mode is mechanical wearing out of the relays in the amp itself. Quieting the amp
when full QSK is not essential is also a goal of this project!

What I propose doing is to implement some connections and logic internal to
the xcvr based on the position of the FAST QSK/SLOW QSK toggle switch to provide
the standard  full QSK (of course!!) but also an optional semi-QSK wherein
the amp's relays hold in position for a predetermined time based on what is
now the Omni's amp relay driver circuit (not needed with TT QSK amps anyway).
I have a good handle on what it would take to do this...it isn't too bad...
but would like to know if someone has done such in the past .  Maybe everyone
drives their TT QSK amps with newer rigs and this might be a topic from the
past, but I appear to be  staying with the Omni B- and C-series xcvrs for
quite a while into the future.  Has anyone tried this or anything similar?

If not, I will make my experience and final design available in some form.

Grant    K7GT    k7gt@qsl.net