[TenTec] FS or FT: TenTec ARGO 556, Outbacker, Jr.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] FS or FT: TenTec ARGO 556, Outbacker, Jr.
From: mdwatt@usit.net (Marty Watt)
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 14:13:54 GMT
On Wed, 11 Jun 97 17:40:21+120, George Arthur Talbot
<talbot@kmrmail.kmr.ll.mit.edu> wrote:

>Marty,
>
>I have recently built a QRP amp, 4 watts in and 30 out, from a kit available
>from Ramsey Electronics for about fifty dollars. That may be one way to get
>some QRO on the MARS band. A Paragon may also do the trick. I have a Paragon
>and am very Casually involved in Army Mars here on the United States Army
>Kwajalein Atoll.
>
>This may be a 'cheap out' for you but if you just want to buy a new Ten Tec
>rig I definitely understand!

Actually, the Argo won't cover the freq. necessary except on 40m.
The primary net frequency is 4040 kHz, and the 80m module won't go
that high, plus there isn't a provision for a crystal, etc.

I'd also like to do a little SWLing, so AM reception becomes
important, and General Coverage receive.

Did the Argo II/Delta II have general coverage?  I don't recall.

>PS. What branch of Mars are you on? If you operate on MARS does that make
>you a Martian?

Yes, it does. :)  Currently I'm inactive, but I used to be manager
of operations for the Tennessee Navy/Marine Corps Mars (GBU-Three)
operating under the call NNN0RBB.  Officially, that would be TN
NAVMARCORMARS STA NNN0RBB/GBU-THREE.  Love those military
designators!  Been inactive (and QRP on the ham bands) for some
time, but would like to get back involved.

OH -- I'm unemployed (but talking to folks), we live with my wife's
parents, which is why COMPACT HF is a requirement.  Otherwise, I'd
just get a $100 receiver for SWLing.  Still wouldn't solve the MARS
problem.