[TenTec] Rig in the middle

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Rig in the middle
From: k5rov@worldnet.att.net (James Parsons)
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 20:37:38 -0500
Bob Hirsch wrote:

> At 18:27 6.18.97 -0500, you wrote:
> >I agree, but don't let it have the VFO system of the Scout. I have had
> >three Scouts, all of which worked fine on SSB. But at 25-30 WPM, CW,
> >Those little rigs drifted right out of the other station's bandpass.
>
> Jim  --
>
> Here's a question for you.  Did the Scouts you had exhibit this problem
> when using an external keyer, or just when you used the built in keyer?
> I'm curious because I heard it was a problem of the microprocessor keeping
> up and the keyer in the Scout is all firmware so an external keyer should
> solve it.
>
> Just curious
> TNX es 73
>
>           =================
>           73 de Bob, W3CW
>           New Hope Pennsylvania
>           =================
>           fists #2491
>           qrp-arci #8700
>           qrp-l #450
>           =================

Hi, Bob...

I always used an external keyer, mainly because I like the memorys. I
hate calling CQ by hand....Hi. I use the CMOS II and the CMOS III
keyers. But the trouble was at its worse when using my computer as a
keyboard. Using the keyer, I would pause on occasion, just to catch my
breath, so to speak. But the keyboard has a hugh memory, and I am a fast
typist. As a result, there was no pause time. The Scouts would actually
drift out of the bandpass of the other station's receiver. I listened to
my own signal on my Yaesu FT-1000, using the 500 Hz filter, and sure
enough, when sending a string of dots, my signal just went out of the
bandpass. Remember, I was not using the internal keyer, so the
microprocessor should not have been working that hard.

About the Scouts I was using, one was bought used from another ham, one
was bought used from Ten-Tec, and one was bought brand new from Ten-Tec.
They all worked great on SSB. And, that little Scout has one of the best
receivers on the market, remembering that it is "bare-bones". The fact
is, its a great rig, as long as you don't operate CW at or above 25 WPM,
without doing a lot of pausing.

I hope I have answered your questions...

Jim, K5ROV
--
James (Jim), Parsons, K5ROV USAF, Ret.
k5rov@worldnet.att.net  QCWA, NWQRP, Fists, ARRL