[TenTec] low priced Ten-Tec, Modules

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] low priced Ten-Tec, Modules
From: bames@mecasw.com (bames@mecasw.com)
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 08:50:05 -0400

It seems that wheat you describe is a manufacturing problem at TT. If the
have a jig where
 the module or conector on the Scout that the connectors are plugged into
before they are soldered then the alignment should be true. And reliable.

Bill
KB1LG

>Hi Bill, Jim, et al:

I have had 2 Scouts since they first came out, and I like them in spite
of some problems with both rigs. I've blown 3 speakers, PA xstrs, had
instability problems, etc. I like the band modules, but I was going to
pass on the Jim's original posting, then felt compelled to comment on
Bill's statistical analysis of the theoretical longivity of the module
connectors.

*IF* the connectors were plugged in manually and individually, Bill's
theory might be valid. However, with 2 barrel and one edge connector
being jammed in "blind", with normal manufacturing tolerances on both
the chassis and module ends, there are slight alignment problems that
can arise. I broke the solder connection on one of the barrel connectors
on one Scout while on a DXpedition, operating 9N1SON beside the Mt.
Everest trail in Nepal. Heating my soldering with solar panels and
candles, I managed to repair it. Later, I made more precise repairs, and
checked all 18 modules in both rigs. I found several with poor fit. In
both Scouts, there was a screw that projected far enough through the
left side of the chassis that it jammed the solder on the filter boards
on some modules, causing the connectors to mate poorly.  Shaving off the
screws, removing some solder on some of the modules, and realigning the
module chambers permit smooth insertion and removal of the band modules
now.

For mobile, portable, and backpacking, I still vote for modules, and
TenTec . . .and the Scout - I just wish the factory would correct the
Scout's frequency stability problems so I don't have to appologize to
the world for the last of the good radio mfrs.

73,

Jack  W4SON/9N1SON