[TenTec] Re: [Ten-Tec] 10 Meter Birdies-One Man's Opinion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: [Ten-Tec] 10 Meter Birdies-One Man's Opinion
From: bcotter@pop.uky.edu (Bill Cotter)
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 10:09:06 -0400
I agree with Duane's position below. This new OMNI-VI+ is the fourth
Ten-Tec transceiver I have owned (after a Corsair-II, -I and OMNI-C),
and the OMNI-VI+ is the clear winner of the birdie-count award. The
other TT rigs had their share of mixer products, but I expected these
anomalies designed-out as the product line evolved. In Ten-Tec's
defense I will say that I have experienced owning ICOM and Kenwood
synthesized rigs, and will probably never purchase another!

As a customer, I don't accept Ten-Tec's position that birdies are
"not...a performance related issue". Any birdie above the noise floor
that obscures a range of frequencies (no matter how small) DOES impact
performance (operation) at or around that range. As for not having a
"fix", I suggest that going back to the drawing board is the real fix
that is needed.

>From my new OMNI-VI+ received 7-10-97 I am experiencing (antenna
disconnected) an S-5 birdie on 1.999; S-4 on 1.980; S-2 on 3.513; S-1
on 21.330; S-1/S-0 28.121, 28.293 and 28.332; and a wide range of
noise-floor-level birdies from 28.401-28.460 centered about 28.441. Are
these also considered acceptable from an instrument-grade receiver such
as the OMNI-VI?

Since Ten-Tec is up-front on discussing this issue, I would appreciate
Tentec posting a list of "acceptable" birdies for the benefit of our
list members.

73 Bill N4ALG

At 10:57 PM 7/15/97 -0500, you wrote:
>That may be your opinion, but when I went shopping for a rig I checked
>friends with Ten Tec's and one who had an Omni-V had a very strong
>opinion of the S7 birdie on 28.025 MHz - smack on the 10m calling freq (I
>think I'm remembering the freq right).  He was also displeased with the
>response from TT that nothing could be done about it.  Otherwise his
>opinion of the rig was high, but, to him, this was a significant
>detractor.  It *was* a problem (and this was when the sunspot cycle
>allowed a lot of DXing on 10m).  My opinion might not be the same, but
>for someone who chased DX seriously on 10m, it was a problem for him.
>
>FWIW...
>       73,  Duane
>
>Duane A. Calvin, AC5AA
>ac5aa@Juno.com -or- duanec@prodigy.net
>Day:  dcalvin@austin.ibm.com
>
>--

| Bill Cotter, Manager of R&D          Mail:   bcotter@pop.uky.edu |
| Communications and Network Systems   Pager:  (606) 259-6082      |
| Parking Structure 2, Room-4, 0198    Phone:  (606) 323-6474      |
| University of Kentucky               FAX:    (606) 257-9400      |
| Lexington, KY 40506-0198             Home:   (606) 887-5563,2402 |