[TenTec] 6 M Amplifiers, testing is costly

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 6 M Amplifiers, testing is costly
From: rohre@arlut.utexas.edu (rohre)
Date: 13 Aug 1997 19:01:22 -0500
The required government certification cost for a 6M amplifier undoubtedly is
so expensive that Ten Tec could not recoup that over a reasonable sales
period. Only the certified tested amplifiers are "legal".
If you don't get the FCC approval, it is illegal.

 Much of the ham world does not even have 6M as an allocation, and the
minority of 6M users in Canada and the U.S. is not going to pay Ten Tec's
bill.  Also, all the boilerplate to meet a government spec probably would make
the unit more complicated.  How is the other outfit doing it?  I would bet off
shore assembly with low paid labor.  And I bet they don't make a profit on it
either.  They probably have another similar product that they can make on the
same production line and justify a loss leader that way.  Watch and see if it
stays on the market.

Out of 65 hams at our VHF repeater club meeting, I could not think of even six
that are regularly on 6M, or even have 6M capable equipment.

It is the underutilized band, and is a great band when it is open!  It would
be more useful if more would try it via the inexpensive translator kit, which
is an excellent kit and maybe better documented than Heathkits.  See you on
six!

73, Stuart K5KVH