[TenTec] Re: Scout for mobile work -- comments

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Scout for mobile work -- comments
From: dmm@bronze.lcs.mit.edu (Andrew M. Moore)
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 11:53:03 -0400 (EDT)
> I am in the process of planning a mobile setup.
> I am looking very seriously at the Ten Tec Scout for a mobile rig.
> I would appreciate any observation/opinions on the rig.

Joe:

Ive used the Scout as a mobile radio, on and off now since the day it
came out (around August 1993, I think).  At some point, I would like to
take the time to put together a "review" of the Scout in mobile
operation, but for now, heres a summary of what Ive found.

Upside:
- The noise blanker works better than any other that I can recall.
  For mobile operation, it's a must, especially at $19.95!
  I couldn't operate mobile without it (my car is electrically noisy).
- The compact package is great
- The simple controls are great (other mobile HF rigs seem to have
  too many multifunction buttons, menu levels, etc.)  I find that I
  can operate the Scout "blind", and for mobile ops, that's a great
  feature -- possibly one of the best.
- For SSB work (I haven't done alot, but used to once in a while),
  the Scout and the Ten-Tec 700C hand mike are a winning combination.
  I've had many comments about how superb the audio is with that
  combination.  If you do mobile CW with the Scout, I highly recommend
  the 700C ($39.95 at last check).

Downside:
- I can't read the display when it's in direct sunlight.
- The speaker sometimes rattles or resonates, and it seems to be very
  "directional" -- try the MFJ Clear Tone speaker (MFJ-281) for
  mobile operation ($9.95, and N4LQ says it works great on CW!).
- There doesn't appear to be much protection in the rig for voltage
  surges when you start the car.  The manual warns about this.  I am
  very careful to turn the power off before starting the car, but
  once in a while I forget.  So far, no problems though.  Unfortunately,
  this means I have to bump the internal keyer speed back up from
  its default 25, since it reverts back to this at powerdown.  A minor
  inconvenience to me though.

Other comments:
- Some people have commented on the Scout's frequency instability at
  high speed CW.  My Scout drifts badly at 40+ WPM, but I have never
  had this problem when mobile, and I usually do 35 to 38 WPM.

Hope this helps Joe, and others.  If you have other specific questions,
please email me, or the list.

Andrew M. Moore, NV1B
dmm@bronze.lcs.mit.edu

..