[TenTec] Transverter question

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Transverter question
From: kr4wm@sccoast.net (Webster D. Williams)
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 07:48:12 -0400
Hi Roger, DE Web- KR4WM in Myrtle Beach, SC.

I never owned a transverter, so it was not without some reluctance that
I examined my finances, and instead of purchasing a 6m rig, I bought the
Ten Tec transverter kit. I'm NOT sorry I did! I get all the features of
my 2 meter all-mode (AM,FM,SSB,CW,pre-amp,noise blanker). All the signal
processing controls work with the 6 meter signals! All the transverter
does is convert 6 meter receive to 2 meter receive, and 2 meter transmit
to 6 meter transmit. Think of it as an "outboard IF". As an example,
your existing radio already includes IF's to convert RF to something you
can hear. (Yes, this is an over-simplified way of looking at it.) And
there are NO mods to do to your existing radios. You simply hook power
to the transverter, connect a coax jumper from your rig to the
transverter (after adjusting your radio to make sure you can't transmit
more than the transverters rated RF input!), connect a 6 meter antenna
to your transverter, and go on the air! Any SWR meter/tuner would go
in-line after the transverter. I'm using my 75 meter loop antenna quite
successfully. No reason not to get a Ten Tec transverter kit. Jump on
in, the waters fine! (Ten Tec also makes a version for HF rigs that
convert 6 to 20 meters too!) Read my personal review of the Ten Tec 1209
transverter kit that's in today's reflector e-mail. 73, Web

"Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin (1773)