[TenTec] Re: [CW] Speed help

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: [CW] Speed help
From: chestert@mail.pressroom.com (Chester Alderman)
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 19:55:33 -0400
Absolutely!! PUT YOUR PENCIL DOWN! It is the greatest deterent to learning to
copy CW at higher speeds. Learn to copy in your head and only jot down notes.

And my second suggestion is going to get me into a lot of trouble with the 'old
pholks'. Many years ago I had a speed wall, as much as I wanted to copy high
speed CW, I could not get over the 40-45 wpm wall. My wife bought me a code
reader which I used for about two years. When you first start using one, you
rely on it completely, but as you continue using it, you suddenly realize that
your over that 'hump' and dont need the code reader any more. When you are
trying to copy higher speeds, if your mind loses the 'flow' of the CW, it
panics, and you lose concentration..and it's darned hard to catch up
again..With a code reader, you can glance up at the screen, see the word you
missed, and your mind continues the even flow of copying. I went from 45 wpm to
60 wpm, without actually realizing it.

For those 'nay-sayers' who will comment on code readers, I can tell you that
when you hear hams having a QSO at 70 wpm or better, they are NOT using code
readers, principally because code readers are not worth a hoot above about 65
wpm and they can not copy CW in the presence of QRN. I can copy in excess of
100 wpm, of plain English, normal conversation, in my head; it's just the same
thing as speaking in another language.