[TenTec] KD7MW Re: DSP

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] KD7MW Re: DSP
From: chestert@mail.pressroom.com (Chester Alderman)
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 20:38:23 -0400
Thanks Peter. That's one of the most enlightning discussions I've read on DSP.
I'm still hanging onto the hope that as winter sets in and the +20 over QRN
dies, the Omni 6 DSP will 'show it's stuff'. Thanks.

[this is a *long* quasi-review, but may prove useful to some folks]

Steve Ellington <<n4lq@iglou.com> said:

> Where dsp helps is when you have some old boatanchor radio with

> a 6kc wide I.F. and hang the dsp on the audio output. For rigs with

> filters like the Omni VI, dsp only makes things sound weird. On SSB with

> the dsp turned on you will hear all kinds of spooky little sounds in the

> background. I find these more distracting than QRN!

> Yes. Why should I want to listen to audio that has been chopped up,

> processed and converted  when I can listen to the real thing?  Sorry if

> I got carried away. Maybe I should be.

Bet you have Macintosh tube amps for your stereo system, right? :-)

Chester said:

> [...]

Here are my observations after a couple of weeks playing with the Option 1

upgrade. Note that reactions to DSP are *very* subjective.  Every signal

is different, there are many types of noise, and every operator has

different ears and brain "wiring."  So your milage may vary.

Chester Alderman

</color>