[TenTec] Re: Omni 6, observations & questions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Omni 6, observations & questions
From: pklein@seattleu.edu (Peter A. Klein)
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 14:02:38 -0700 (PDT)
I forgot to give the Ten-Tec service person's response on this one:

> - The radio runs warm.  Especially on RTTY--even at half power, the
> final's heat sink gets downright hot.
> . . .  I've stood a little computer power supply
> fan behind the radio blowing on the heat sink.  I figure it's like
> chicken soup--it couldn't hurt  :-)

Ten-Tec recommends an external fan blowing on the Omni's rear heat sink
for RTTY.  It's not so necessary for CW and SSB.  But as I said, it
couldn't hurt.

Interestingly, the tech said that a fan was not so necessary for the
Ten-Tec power supply.  Even though it got almost hot enough to fry an egg
after a RTTY QSO.  Evidently TenTec's philosophy is to use very husky
components and heat sinks that can take it.  After using an ICOM PS-30
external supply for years, I was kind of shocked at how hot the Ten-Tec
supply got.  But the Icom has an internal fan, and the TenTec doesn't.

--Peter (KD7MW)

Peter A. Klein  (pklein@seattleu.edu)  :    -----==3==      ---      ---
Network Administrator, LAN/WAN/Novell  :   |    |  |  |    |   |    |   |
Seattle University, 296-5569           :  @|   @| @| @|   @|  @|   @|  @|