[TenTec] Transmatches/Tuners/Etc.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Transmatches/Tuners/Etc.
From: seay@Alaska.NET (Del Seay)
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 06:19:13 -0700
Joseph Koppi wrote:

> One thing more:  the Amidon Company offers baluns and ununs based on the
> Sevick designs.  You may want to check out their ad in CQ (have never seen
> it in QST).  It's not in every issue, but you should have to look too hard.
>
> 73,
>
> Joe Koppi, W0SU
> W0SU@pclink.com
> St. Paul, MN

These don't handle hi-power well. I bought two to use with my
low band folded dipoles and had to climb the tower right in the middle
of a pileup on VK0IR. Lost the other one within a few weeks.

I try not to use baluns here, but I'm in a unique situation. I have
4 hi-power BC stations surrounding me. (3 am, 1 FM) and absolutely
no grounds on the old AC power line system in the area as well as
splices that come and go. Closing a loop on the antennas seem to be the
best reduction of garbage, so I tried the folded dipole approach to
some degree of success.
Having built and used most of the modern tuner schemes, I keep going
back to the link coupled approach for tuned feedlines. Simple, effective
and efficient. (I only use one variable cap, a dual section across the
coil.)
See ya'  de KL7HF