[TenTec] Amps & Wildlife

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Amps & Wildlife
From: hmmjr@erols.com (H. M. 'Puck' Motley W4PM)
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 10:16:15 -0700
A couple of years ago, while using my Centurion amp, a great KA-POW
resounded through the shack and the amp went dead.  I popped the top and
checked around the high voltage board.  To my great suprise, there etched
on the corner of the circuit board was the shape of a spider.  Apparently
he was doing the Tennessee waltz across that board when feet on one side
hit the ground foil, feet on the other hit the high voltage, and instant
vaporization occurred.  During his final moment he drew enough current to
blow the fuses in the power supply!  Repair consisted only of cleaning
charred remains from the board and replacing fuses and all was well.

As a side note and safety warning - There is enough voltage in amplifiers
to kill you intantly!  While amps have safety interlocks and shorting
bars to protect you, your best protection is to use you head and think
about what you are going to do before you do it.  Assume all safety
devices have failed and take extreme care.  While that 3 KV in the amp
may not vaporize you instantly like it did that spider, it is more than
enough to stop your heart and that really has the same effect, doesn't
it?

Evict you resident wildlife from your amp but take care doing it!

73,
Puck, W4PM