[TenTec] Omni V problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni V problem
From: turner@safety.ics.uci.edu (Clark Savage Turner WA3JPG)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 13:42:36 -0700
> Got a slight problem with an Omni V and a 250 Hz filter in the slot labeled
> 250  (forget which IF this is). If I have an S9 cw signal then select the

The 6.3 MHz IF, 2nd IF is where the basic filters go.  The NAR
position is the 1st IF, 9 MHz.  Unless you have the 250 in the NAR
position, it is the 6.3, or 2nd IF.

> 250 Hz filter, the signal drops to about an S2. I've tried another filter
> in this position and it appears to work fine so it doesn't appear to be
> rig related.  My guess is a filter problem.

Now, signal loss with the 250 filter is common, since the filter is
so narrow.  The OMNI VI has a variable gain amplifier in the 1st
IF to take care of this in the NAR position.  The stock 250 filter
in the 6.3 MHz position gives me some loss in my OMNI and Corsair,
but not quite as much as you describe.  If there are no cold solder
joints, and another filter in that position works, the filter does
sound bad, and you probably just need another one.

> I've checked for cold solder joints on the filter
> board with no luck. Is there a common failure on these type of filters? Any
> suggestions?  Would hate to have to send it to Tenessee.

Since it is only the filter, and not the slot, the filter would be bad
and I suggest you borrow one of my 250 filters to compare just to be
sure, then buy another one if you want to!  I am only an hour away,
bring the rig on down!

Clark
WA3JPG