[TenTec] R-7000 Vertical Experience

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] R-7000 Vertical Experience
From: turner@safety.ics.uci.edu (Clark Savage Turner WA3JPG)
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 16:08:24 -0700
Larry writes:
> Use some sort of dipole, either cut to band for with or
> without a tuner (with would be better, since physical condx.
> will vary) or an open wire fed length or wire as was suggested
> by another.

> K5XS@aol.com wrote:

>>Has anyone used the R-7000 vertical?  I'm generally not a vertical kinda guy,
>>but have a need for something protable to take out in the boonies with my Boy
>>Scout troop (and the Omni) and am considering the R-7000.

Lots of lively discussion on this one!  I have to agree strongly with
Larry.  Our University of Calif, Irvine ham club has an R-7000 and it
is NOT a simple portable antenna.  It is not light, not easy to erect
unless you have two people.  It performs adequately, as quarter wave
verticals do....

Another point, why spend $300 when you can go buy a small roll of wire
for $5 or $10 and a piece of coax for $25 and some light string or
rope for another $10 (total $45 maybe) and use a local rock to tie to
the string, throw it over the highest local tree, haul up the longest
piece of wire you can, then hook it up to your rig through a cheap
tuner (OK, another $50 for a cheap used MFJ, but it works with other
antennas too).  This simple combination will often outperform the
R-7000, and it should not ever underperform it overall.  It's just cheaper,
needs a tuner, may present a different radiation pattern (the fun of
the draw!), and takes a little time and creativity to set up.  Lots of
fun.  Always been my preferred way to operate portable!

Clark
WA3JPG