[TenTec] Mmmmm hmmmm

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Mmmmm hmmmm
From: chuck@Topsail.ORG (Chuck Murcko)
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 18:27:20 -0400
Ten-Tec, Inc. wrote:
> nexus15@flash.net writes:
> >I intercepted an RTTY message from a W4 that was talking about an
> >all-band 100 watt HF rig and a module based cw station complete from
> >antenna tuner, receiver, xmitter, keyer, audi filter, watt meter.  All
> >to fit in a waterproof enclosure.  Don't know if it's TT though.
> Definitely not a future offering from us.  Sounds intriguing, however.
> I wonder how they'd keep the water out...
Probably not immersible, but NEMA 12 cabinets (expensive, gasketed door,
welded seams) and convection cooling is the way they do harsh
environment computing gear. You'd also need a heater inside if you want
to make the thing operate at much below freezing. Those cabinets are
also oil and gas tight, but there's a higher NEMA rating for explosion
proof/airport baggage handler proof. 8^)

You could do the same by putting one of the Paragons into a NEMA 12 box
with a rack mount built in, and using gas/liquid tight connections as
needed. A small internal fan, or thermally conductive block from the
finals to an external heat sink (also gasketed, since the cabinets tend
to be steel) would not be a bad idea. Hmmm...
Chuck Murcko
The Topsail Group, West Chester PA USA